Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling

For years, I thought that Harry Potter was a terrible book. I assumed that it was a dark story about witchcraft that glorified evil, and I was shocked if anyone told me they had read it. However, I supposed all these thing without actually having read the book for myself. One day my mom and I made the decision to try it out. We sat down in the living room and started reading it together. I was in love with it from the very first sentence. I discovered quickly that Harry Potter is anything but dark and evil. On the contrary, it is an enchanting fantasy story full of excitement and adventure that makes you think deeply about life.  

In "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," (which is the first book in the series), Harry Potter is a 10-year-old orphan who has lived nearly his entire life with his aunt and uncle. On Harry’s eleventh birthday he discovers a truth that will change his life forever. He is a wizard.
Simultaneously, he receives a letter telling him that he has been accepted at Hogwarts school of magic. Harry is abruptly thrust into a world he never knew existed; the wizarding world. In that world Harry learns that portraits can talk, trolls really exist, and animals sometimes turn out to be people.
Yet he also discovers something else, a fact far more sinister: there’s a dark wizard on the loose, and he wants Harry dead.

Note to Parents: I would not recommend this book for younger children, but rather for ages 12 and up. 

Inspirations 4 Writing


One of the many reasons I admire J.K. Rowling is her stunning imagination. It’s as if she left all boundaries behind when writing about the wizarding world and let her imagination go wild. The result is a book full of spell-binding adventures, fantastical creatures, and magical objects that excite the curiosity and capture the mind’s-eye. If you like writing children’s fantasy, try letting your imagination loose as well and see what you come up with.   

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I really enjoyed the Harry Potter series myself. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete